Thursday, September 4, 2008

Life in Logan

We have been in Logan now for 3 weeks. It has been a huge adjustment but I think I will get used to it and eventually like it. I miss talking to people. As the apartment manager I talked to people all day. Now it's just Spencer and I and the occasional phone calls from family and friends. Our neighbors are nice and we absolutely love all the space of our new apartment. Some highlights of our experience so far:
-Weekend at Bear Lake (Spencer was so proud when he figured out how to say "Bear Lake" that now he says it all the time and then proceeds through the routine of talking about how he splashed Mommy and Daddy...)
-Finding out that the Mom of the two year old boy next door is still in highschool. Then spending the next hour as an awkward bystander as all the other moms had a conversation in Spanish.
- Driving down the road trying to find a park and seriously seeing a guy in his yard lassoing a bail of hay with horns attached to the front.
-Having the entire bishopric of our new ward show up to our apartment tonight at 8:00 pm and I answer the door in my pajamas, embarrassing!
-Last but not least making a return to shopping at Maceys. We have been a Walmart family for way to long and I came home from Maceys the other day as excited as a kid on Christmas morning as I told Scott about how great it was to shop there.
I really think we are going to love it here. I really just need to make some friends or come up with some fun things to do with Spencer. If anyone reading this has ever lived in Logan and has some fun Mommy and kid ideas let me know.
For now we are happy to be living the life in Logan!

10 comments:

mae said...

There is Logan Zoo. It is actually more like an aviary, but its free. They take donations. There is also a couple of parks near there too. There are parks everywhere in Logan!

This may sound lame, but I liked going to PetSmart. Air conditioned or heated, your choice. There are several indoor pools around at the middle schools and high schools. Can't 'member the names...

Up the canyon at First dam, there are usually ducks you can feed.

Hope that helps. If I think of anything else, I'll email ya!

Nate Judd said...

I have no comment to help your current situation. You'll begin to enjoy Logan once you get a little more settled. Moving is never fun, but, think of all the new people you get to meet.

Nichole said...

I'm glad that you are having a good time so far. I bet it is so nice to not have to work so hard all day!! I'm sure you just don't know what to do with yourself! I have only passed through Logan so I can't tell ya what cool things they have there!? I really don't think we will be able to go camping this year so Christian and I were thinking we could spend the weekend up there sometime this fall/winter so we can get our fill of the Miller's!! Anyway...post pics of your new place!

kam said...

I bet Spencer likes shopping at Macey's too...they don't give out "smarties" candies at Walmart ;) ;). I have been thinking about you guys! We miss you already- I know it's only logan but it may as well be New York- for how often our little family gets out and visits. I don't know a lick about Logan so I won't be helpful there- but Melissa you are one of the best moms I know and you will think of lots of things to pass the time for you and Spencer! How is Scott liking school? (sorry this is more like an email then a "comment" ;)

Kayleen said...

Hey Melis! Glad you're adjusting. Those were some pretty funny updates! You should see if there's a "playgroup" anywhere around your neighborhood. I know my sister in law loves hers cause the kids all play and the mom's get to talk and enjoy some sanity. :)

Mandi said...

Melis,
Our very favorite thing in Logan, and saddest thing to leave was story time at the North Logan library. They call it Quacker Time. The lady who does it is AMAZING. I think that it was on Tuesday and Friday when I lived there. Just call the Library and find out. It is so fun. Lots of singing, a talking duck, and stories. We also loved the Cheese Factory (Gossners), it is on 10th West and 10 north. It is so fun. Cheese samples and cheap cheese. Willow park is super fun. Lots of different play grounds, in the shade. We love the little zoo there also. The Temple is a fun place to and walk around on a Sunday when the day gets long. There is a huge hill that my kids loved to play on. One of my favorite places to shop (other than Macey's) is the Down East Outlet. It is the one on 10th North Right by Little Ceasers. They have the long shirts for 2 or 3 dollars! Perfect to wear over the baby bump!
A fun place to eat is Costa Vida, pretty cheap and you can often find coupons for them in the phone book, and in the Friday news paper. We also like to go to the Blue Bird. It is an old resturant on Main Street. It is inexpensive, but really great food.
I know that you will learn to love Logan as much as I do! Heck I even have a kid named Logan. I wish that I still lived there. It would be so fun to live near you and let our kids play. feel free to email me if you are wondering about Logan, or just to chat! mandihamisch@hotmail
sorry about the novel!

nM said...

I can't believe left out the Demolition Derby's at the fairgrounds. Way fun ...

Amy said...

Maybe you should see if the hay bail lassoer can give Spencer some lessons... just a thought :)

Melissa said...

Thanks everyone! I am starting to feel a little more settled and your ideas have been great. I realize friends can take awhile so for now Spencer and I are just going to enjoy our time together.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Lots has happened since we've talked to you! Congrats on the baby! Glad you're feeling good. Spencer is so adorable! Keep in touch!