Monday, January 17, 2011

Journal Entry

I don't keep a journal. I know it's bad and I wish I could keep one going but I just don't. Props to those of you who do. Anyway, this entry is a bit like a journal entry and if it's boring for you sorry and you can stop reading but I have some thoughts I want to remember.

I have a friend who I really admire for many reasons but I have been thinking a lot lately about the way she builds people up. It seems like she is always so positive. It's fun to tell her about your successes because she is so good at cheering you on and making you feel great about yourself. She always tries to give people the benefit of the doubt and rarely speaks ill or anyone.

I have lost some weight. Not a huge deal but it was the result of a lot of hard work. I am not saying I need everyone around me to make a big deal out of it because I really don't. I think what I am trying to say is that I can tell. I can tell when people are genuinely happy for me.

Many times I think the natural man in all of us tells us that as we criticize and belittle others it will make us appear to be more accomplished, however, in reality I think it does quite the opposite. When we think this way about other people we are only bringing ourselves down and even if you don't say it out loud people can sense the way you feel about them. There's enough in this world tearing us down and making us feel insignificant and it's the last thing we need to be doing to our family and friends.

I want to be more like my previously mentioned friend. I want to take every chance I get to build other people up. To be happy for their accomplishments, to give encouragement and tell them I think they're great. I really think as I try to do this it will make me a happier person.

9 comments:

RaeLynn said...

I always knew you loved and appreciated me...but an entire blog post? Really Melissa--you're too kind :)

Joke.

Good post...it's so true.

Aubrey said...

Good friends that build you up and make you want to be a better person are priceless. I'm glad you have a friend like that. You're a great person Melissa.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the reminder to always try to be a true friend. It's nice to have those kind of people in your life.

mel said...

I need you hear to help me get whipped back into shape! PLEASE! I sure miss play group and seeing your sweet boys.

Kayleen said...

Thanks for the reminder. You are one of those friends for me. :) And you look so hot, you really are an inspriation for me. I'm almost back on the bandwagon. Ha ha. I'm trying so hard to get there.

B said...

That was a fabulous post! Thanks for the reminder. Congrats on the weight loss. You should share your secrets. I am attempting to shed 20 pounds and as much as I appreciate that those 20 pounds love me so much that they are attempting to stay, I really need them to part. :)

mae said...

AMEN!!! So glad you have good friends around you!! We all need that! Thanks for a the good reminder. As my kids get older, I realize that I have slacked off on the positive and focus on the negative-messy room, late for school, etc...Thanks for the reminder, I needed it today! Looking forward to see you guys, hopefully soon!

Norda said...

Well said! I agree that you can feel when people are genuine, and what a huge difference it is to someone who is only half there. I am trying to have more genuine quality time with those around me, and trying to not be so distracted/stressed about the little things. It's hard! Loved this post Melissa - and you look awesome!

P.S. The boys are getting so big!

Tiffany said...

That is so great! Congrats on the weight loss. But more then that...on relizing what kinda person you want to be and surround yourself with. I needed that reminder myself. Thanks Melissa
Tiffany