Monday, November 22, 2010

Bless His Heart

Spencer has something called Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. Basically he has an extra conduction pathway which can mess up the electrical signals in his heart. We have know this since he was just a baby but he has been so healthy it's easy to forget that his little heart isn't working as perfectly as we would hope. At his 4 year check up the pediatrician referred us to a cardiologist at the children's hospital here. It was a long appointment with many tests but Spence was a champ. Even when he had to wear this for 24 hours.


The doctor says that he will need an ablation procedure done in a couple years and hopefully that will fix the problem for good. He is fine and this post is more for my memory and for family than anything and not to complain. As I sat next to his bed in the hospital with all those chords attached to him I couldn't help but feel a little scared but mostly I am grateful. Grateful that his doctor found it when he was young and that modern medicine can do something to fix it and that it's not anything more serious. I love my little Spencer... bless his heart.

5 comments:

dm said...

So excited to see you and the family on Thanksgiving. I love all the pics you posted. Who gave Owen permission to grow so fast? And Spencer?, well, you said it all...what a trooper...bless his cotton socks!

Nichole said...

That is what Christian has. He doesn't have the symptoms he used to but his heart still beats more per minute that a normal man his age. He went through three surgeries. The doctors didn't know what he had so they were exploratory surgeries and what they did made his condition worse! He's been off medication for years and he can do strenuous things without any symptoms. I wish they could have known what he had earlier and dealt with it so Spencer is a lucky boy! According to Christians doctor Wolff doesn't normally show until a person hits puberty so I can see why the doctors would want to deal with this now. When Christian went through the surgeries he was in and out and walking around the same day. It's so hard to see our kids go through something like this...they can be stronger than we are!

Kayleen said...

Sweet little Spencer. I had no idea he had any heart problems, but I'm so glad it's not more serious. I can't believe your baby is going on 2 in a few months.

Aubrey said...

What a brave boy! Hospitals can be really scary. I'm glad he was okay for you while the tests were done and I am so glad the doctors have a plan to make things okay. I hope you're doing okay. Things like that are harder on parents than anything, I think.

Britt's Blog said...

Sorry about Spencer. I hope that they fix it quickly for you all. I'd say fix it for him, but lets be honest...I think mother's feel their childrens pain so much more acutely. We miss you guys! We are doing a little school here in Heber City, but it's not the same.