I have decided to swallow my pride and post a picture of myself at this awful huge state that I am currently existing in. Judge if you will and if it makes you feel better about how you look pregnant or not I am glad I could help. I am feeling pretty good although I feel like I should be having this baby a lot sooner than I am.These are the issues that I am currently struggling with and if anyone has two cents they would like to throw in my direction I am open to advise.
#1 I am considering splurging a bit and getting a boppy. If you had one did you love it or think it was just in the way and too expensive?
#2 Nursing tops (special underwear Ü). Sensitive issue to put out in the blogging world I know but I would love some feedback on if people liked them or not. I didn't have them with Spencer and have been wondering if that route might make the nursing process more comfortable especially when it comes to being modest. Nursing was a 7 month trial with Spencer and I am open to any ideas to make it a little easier and more enjoyable this time around.
#3 Spencer- I am wondering what I can do to make the process as easy on him as possible. I really only have one person up here in Logan that I would be comfortable leaving Spencer with when it's time to head to the hospital. My mom has offered to come up right away when the time comes but that still leaves a few hours before she can make it and I am a little nervous about what I will do if my one friend, sad I know, isn't available. I know I could call my R.S. Pres she is a really sweet lady but I don't know her that well and more importantly neither does Spencer.
#4 I'm grumpy. Seriously, I am not normally this moody but you know it's bad when I recognize it on my own. Thanks for your patience Scott. After Spencer was born I was so busy with my job and my calling that I never really worried about post pardom blues but I am a little worried about it this time around because Scott will be in school and I will be home alone a lot.
After reading over this post I am realizing that I sound totally inadequate to be a mom of a newborn. I reassure you that we are ready and very excited. I guess the anticipation is making me a little anxious about the details but we can't wait for our little guy to get here. I am so grateful for the chance I have to be a mom. I am so blessed to have wonderful family and friends that care about me and my little family.

14 comments:
You are so cute! I know you might not think so or feel so, but you look good regardless of how you feel! Kudos for being brave! And I have to hurry my comment because I can hear Odan waking up....
I just wanted to say - I TOTALLY remember my grumpiness with my second pregnancy! I think the first time around I was just so excited to be a mom, I wasn't grumpy at all (that I remember), but man at the end of Odan's pregnancy I felt like I was spreading misery everywhere! It's so hard when you are tired and uncomfortable and impatient and nervous etc etc. The only thing I can tell you is what EVERYONE tells you, hang in there. And I remember even that didn't help much. So all I can do is sympathize...I'm sorry! But it WILL be worth it (which I'm sure you already know and tell yourself).
And - the nursing accessories, I didn't particularly like the boppy, but I don't know if I was using it right. As far as the "under" shirts, I really liked them at first, but I don't really care for them anymore, maybe because I'm not nursing every second of the day anymore.
Also - the postpartum thing, I totally had it with Odan, and I remember feeling so guilty because I felt like there was no reason on earth I should be feeling blue and depressed. Talking openly about it with Kendall helped me (I kept most of it in for awhile) and time helped too. Talking with other women who'd had it really helped too. It was talking to other moms that helped me realize I wasn't crazy, and gave me the courage to talk to Kendall. So, if you ever want to talk, I'm all ears!
Lastly, I think Spencer will adjust easier than you think. I was sure surprised King adjusted so well. He still has him moments though (they aren't too often) but he's really become attached to Odan. Just talk to him a lot and explain things out loud. That helped King. Let me know how things go. I remember I felt like it was important for King to see Odan ASAP and see him with Kendall and I. I think he understood we were a family. Then again, I wasn't gone for a period of time before I came home, so I understand how kids might get thrown off when they don't see their parents for awhile. Maybe that's why the transition went so smooth...we could talk about that too.
Here is my number, 801-265-3486, if you ever want to call me! I'm lonely in our house! (did you know we moved?) Okay this is long...sorry!
Ok, I have a little bit to add here and since I can't sleep--what better time?
1. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the boppy. I seriously used it all the time. It's not just for nursing...it has other redeeming qualities too. When Cole was learning to sit up, we used that to help support his back and that in turn strengthened his neck muscles. It's also one of those things that is nice to just lay the baby in when they're getting old enough to just lay on the floor and chill and look around.
2. I think you know how I feel about this. I HIGHLY recommend nursing underwear. For me it totally reduced the awkwardness of nursing outside of my house and it's faster. That works for me because I'm really impatient ;)
3. About Spencer--good luck and let me know how it goes...haha. Maybe if you talk to your RS Pres right now and let her spend some time with Spencer you would feel more comfortable with her watching him for a couple hours. 'Cause I mean, really--it'd only be 2 hours probably, right? The church IS your family when you aren't close to your own. I would definitely think about it.
4. Heck, I'm ornery and I'm not even pregnant. I think if there's ANYONE in the world that deserves to be grumpy it's terminally ill people and pregnant women. Honestly--just keep apologizing and Scott will know that you love him ;)
Cute picture!
I LOVED my boppy. I used it with both of my girls and bought a few different slip covers to go with it. It was seriously by far my favorite nursing accessory. I did buy a nursing top but didnt really like it so I'd say buy one and see if you like it before buying several.
I hope that when I am as far along as you I can say that I am feeling pretty good! It is crazy how much sooner everything happens (growing belly, hurting ligaments, peeing pants..haha).
So I absolutely, positively would recommend a Boppy! It was nice to put it around my tummy and rest my arm it. It makes it so you don't have to hold your baby's head he can just rest it in the crook of your arm while you are resting your arm too!! I really think it would be a good thing for you if you want to just pay attention to your little guy. If you don't want to buy one before you try it out you could always borrow mine!
As for the nursing tops...I would recommend them. They aren't always the most comfy thing (when you don't situate right) but when it comes to nursing they are a LIFE SAVER!!
As for being grumpy...ummm I say it just comes with the package!! Scott is tough and can handle it and he'll forget all of it as soon as he see's your little guy!! And as for post pardom...we will come cheer you up for a weekend at least!! I think my biggest issue will be that I don't feel like I am being a good mom to Ava and that she is being neglected. So I am going to start putting together games and activities that I can store away until after the baby is born. Then if I feel like I am being a bad mom to Ava I will just pull the stuff out and let Ava go to town once in a while!
Wow I just wrote a novel...like I'm the expert..HA...HA...HA!!!
I have absolutely no advice for you as I have absolutely no experience. However I do have two sets of wonderful friends (you would make three). CJ and Tania are up there and I am positive that Tania would be more than willing to watch him. Also Melanie and Richard are up there and they would probably help also. I would trust either or them with my children. . . that is if I had any. :)
If you would like me to hook that up for you. . . give me a call.
Melissa,
You are great! Here is my advice...take it for what it is worth.
1. I love my boppy. When I nurse at night it is the best, I am tired, and it helps me keep my Maddie from falling out of my arms if I doze off! I also love it for my 2 older kids to use when they hold Maddie. It supports there arms so they can comfortably hold her. Even when she was a new born I would let them sit on the couch and hold her!
2. Nursing tops are great. I feel much more modest in them.
3. I feel you on this one...Being in Michigan was hard when it was time to have our baby. Even when I was in Logan it was hard. I just had a few people (the ones I like best on the top of the list) that I could call. Then I just prayed it would all work out. Hopefully when you feel like you are going to be really having a baby you can call your mom....and she will get there before you even have to leave the house!
Good luck. Some how it always finds away of working out.
Hey Miss Melissa - Just wanted to let you know that I have one of my past YW that is going to school up there that I know would help in a pinch until your mom could get there - Here name is Andee - in fact there are two up there - Caitlyn and Andee both super responsible that I would leave Beau with at any time. If you want their numbers let me know and I will email them to you - Loved my nursing tops by the way - I struggled with my boppy when I was nursing - felt a little clausterphobic (sp?) but love it for propping up Beau. Good luck with everything - Ash
Ok, so here's my opinion.
1. I loved my boppy!! I couldn't nurse without it. I am no longer nursing my twins though and we are done having kids, so you can totally have mine if you want it. Not sure how you can get it, but if you are going to be here sometime before the baby is born or if your mom wants to come pick it up, it's all yours. Just let me know.
2. Definitely recommend!!
3. Katelyn adjusted to my twins so much better than I thought she would. Although, it would be hard being away from family. Sorry I can't help there.
4. It's ok to be moody... it's just part of pregnancy. It does get lonely being by yourself right after you have a baby. Call me anytime you need someone to talk to!
I am a lucky girl to have such good friends. Thanks for all the great advice because I consider you all my panel of experts. I am feeling much better about my concerns so thanks again!
Hi Melissa, this is Lacey Fowler from the 12the ward. I hope you remember me. I found your blog from Kiana's. What a cute family you have. And congrats on baby #2! Just try to remember how GINORMOUS I was when pregnant and that will boost your self esteem a TON! ;)
Here's my two cents -
Boppy- LOVE! I think it makes nursing easier. Instead of using a pillow that you can never seem to smoosh the right way to make it comfortable or support anything.. the boppy works perfect! And they make super cheap CUTE covers. I found mine $10 at Target. Plus check KSL.com and I bet you could find one pretty cheap.
Nursing tops - LOVE these too! I totally think they are great. Again, makes nursing easier. Especially in public. My littlest guy is 6 months and nursing and I'll wear them until he's done.
And, lastly...I was a roller coaster of emotions while I was prego...all 3 times. I think that is normal. At least your in tune enough to notice and even apologize to your hubby. Not me, I just thought I was normal and everyone else was psycho. ;)
Hope things continue to go well for you. And if you don't remember me, sorry if this comment is total awkward for you! HA
Thought I'd add my two cents to make me feel special :)
I am a Boppy advocate. Really liked it a lot as did other members of my family when they'd hold newborn Jake. David also enjoyed using it when he'd play x-box. Apparently it helped alleviate the strain of holding up that heavy controller ;) If you do get one I'd also recommend getting an extra cover. That way if the little tyke urps all over it, you have a spare cover you can use.
Nursing tops made nursing a lot less awkward for me. I'd definitely recommend them if you are nursing frequently.
As for Spencer - just leave him at home with some juice and a really long movie. I'm sure he'll understand.
As for the moodiness - shoot, at least you have a reason :)
Oh Melissa! I love you. Seriously, there are few people who are so self aware. And because of that, you will be just fine. It won't be perfect but it will be your best effort and that will be enough. Don't doubt yourself!! :)
On to the advice: *Boppy, I wasn't a huge fan of using it for nursing. I have a short torso and it really didn't work for me. But it was nice for the babies to lean against when they got a tad bigger.
*Nursing tops I loved them. If your clothes are tight, the lines will show through so wear loose tops or a cardigan or something.
*Depending on how you go into labor, you might be able to wait for your mom. Just remember that Spencer will survive, even with someone he doesn't know. It will only be for a brief time and he'll be fine. You can get him involved by showing him baby diapers and baby crib. Let him talk to your tummy and then maybe he'll understand when you tell him its time to "go get the baby". It worked with Ethan. He loved to say goodnight to my tummy. Funny!
*Grumpy-well I am still working on a fix for that. Post partum was tough for me second time around. I was all alone with no car, internet or tv for 2 months. Make sure you go outside everyday, even for just a minute. And talk to someone everyday. The days I had someone to talk to helped. And when Nate got home, we'd just drive around and that helped. Just don't let yourself become trapped at home. Sorry I hoped I didn't scare you. None of my other pp's were that bad but that one. You'll be fine, I'm sure of it. Can't wait to see the little guy!
Hi Melissa!
1- boppy was a no go for us. I just didn't find it all that useful- my personal opinion.
2- nursing tops- even while nursing my boobs aren't all that noticeable- SO I did just fine without them-I had them- but it didn't matter if I wore those or "normal" ones. there's just not much to manuever around or mess with in that department for me. sorry I can't help more there.
3- you know we are a little closer and I wouldn't mind in the least to come up ANY TIME!!!
4- Welcome to motherhood x2- I have been in a constant state of "scrooge" since February 2, 2007 ;) we have ALL been there- so go easy on yourself ok? You are and will be a FANTASTIC mother! Just remember-whenever you doubt that- how many people who know and love you- BELIEVE it's true!!!!
Love you! and can't wait to meet our newest little nephew...in due time of course :)
BTW- I honestly think you look terrific Melissa!!!
Post a Comment