Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Torture

Today is a bad mom day. One of my biggest beefs with blogs is that often times it seems like everyone else has a perfect life and yours has no chance of ever matching up. Well, to spare all of you that are reading this from feeling that way today I will come out and say that life is not perfect today. Last Friday we took away Spencers binki. At first I thought it was going pretty well but we have since taken a turn in the wrong direction. Spencer has not taken a nap since last friday and as each day comes and goes and he gets more and more tired he becomes harder and harder to handle. This morning he woke up at 5:00 am and now he is so tired. It's nap time but he is in his bed screaming as if I am torturing him. I have no idea what to do from here. Feeling very humbled and like not a very good mom I ask for any advice.

11 comments:

Dave said...

From a not-very-good father: tranquilizers.

Melissa said...

Thanks Dave. To all readers of this blog that might live in close enough proximity to hear the screaming I do appologize.

Norda said...

Haha! Peace and quiet over here in 22...no worries! I keep dreading taking away King's binky for this exact reason! My pediatrician said, "15 months he needs to stop the binky" and I have been so paranoid at taking it away. One thing I thought (and you may have already tried this) was taking it away just at nap time, then eventually taking it away at night? Just a thought, don't know if it will work. I can't seem to muster the energy for taking his binky away!

Kayleen said...

Oh, Melis! All kids throw fits when they don't get their way, that doesn't mean you're not doing your job as a mom. Take it from me, since I'm such a professional at being a mom. Ha ha. You're an awesome mom. If it makes you feel any better, the last time Jesse and I left your house we said, "Spencer is so cute, and they are really good parents." We talked about things we watched you do with him, and decided we want to do the same when we have kids... And I'm not making this up! He'll get over that little binkie sooner or later... :)

RaeLynn said...

I'm just glad to know that as of yesterday this little escapade has been given a rest. Oh--pun! :) Anywho, easy on the 4 hour nap yesterday. I hope you get a few days of some nice, solid naps. I think you did the right thing by giving him the Binky that was slashed :)

B said...

Well it is probably a good thing that I don't have any children because in your shoes I would just give him back the binki. He will give it up when he is ready.

mae said...

You aren't a bad mom! I am learning that most moms struggle with being a mom. No one ever blogs about how they fed their kid Cheerios for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and let them watch TV all day. We only blog about the good stuff!

Spencer will get over the binky eventually. Really all you can do is endure the crying until he forgets about it. You could try replacing it with a sippy cup of water at night or maybe a new stuffed animal...
Also, you are entering a transitional phase where sometimes he needs a nap and sometimes he doesn't. I think(I hope) eventually he will just give up or accept the replacement and go to sleep. Until then, do what you have to do to stay patient, even if that means eating candy and watching TV. You gotta take care of yourself too! Good luck, mama!

Al said...

Missy,being that I am the meanest mother in the world(ask Rae or Scott), just scream back at him, or squirt him with a water bottle thats's what we do to the cat, velcro him to the wall and give him something to really scream about, if you don't have velcro you can use duct tape that works pretty good,you could give him a swish but that is a little drastic, or just ignore him and go for a walk leaving him home alone foaming at the mouth. Okay now that I have your attention, I see maybe two choices, you can outwait him and further learn the dynamics of true patience or drug him up with Benydril. Personally, I'd go with the latter, worked for Scott.

Okay , okay I am just kidding. I better just go to bed it's late. Your both doing great!

Nichole said...

Oh I love the binki and I am glad that I don't have to deal with this for another year!! I hope that by now he has gotten used to the no binki thing! Hope you guys are doing good!

kam said...

I have no advise to offer- my kid prefers her thumb and well you know how well "weaning" will go with that ;) hang in there. It sounds like things have been rough. But know that you are doing a GREAT job as his momma!!! Your the best person for the job -don't ever doubt it!

RaeLynn said...

I just looked at the comments on here from dad and i'm DYING. that is hilar.