I'm sure I provided the neighbors some great entertainment as I ran up and down the sidewalk 8 months pregnant, hunched over trying to help this kid figure out the art of riding a bike. At first he wanted to give up but after a little pep talk and a few days of trying a little each day he got it! My favorite memory from teaching my first born this valuable life skill was when he was trying to master starting on his own. He went up the street aways and then stopped to turn around. He told me he wanted to start himself but after watching him struggle and get more and more frustrated I started to walk up the street to help. When I got about 20 feet away he looks up at me and shouts, "I blame you!" Apparently it was my fault because I was coming to help so I turned around and left the boy to figure it out on his own. Moments later he came riding by as happy as could be. Now at his request we spend about an hour a day outside as he rides up and down the street savoring his new found independence.
Not to be out done by his brother Owen has learned to use his pedals and is very proud of himself but I must say there is something mischievousness about a little boy on a big wheel riding at full speed. He is smiling for the camera here but he usually looks like he is on his way into battle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Go Spencer! I can totally picture Owen riding his bike as you described. So funny!
Maybe Spencer can teach Cole :) He is so stubborn!
Post a Comment