Spencer is officially in kindergarten! He was so excited. This picture was his idea.
I have been a little worried about Spencer being one of the youngest in his class because his birthday is in June and a friend was telling me that a lot of moms here hold their kids, especially boys, back if they have summer birthdays. I, however, know that Spencer is so ready both intellectually and socially for school so we decided to start him. As you can tell he is a little small. After about the fourth day of school when I picked Spencer up I noticed him sticking out his tongue at an older boy. When he got in the car I was ready to give him a little lecture until I realized he was on the verge or tears. He told me that the boy he was sticking his tongue out at was a fifth grader and he was telling Spencer that he was little and looked like a baby. The boy went on to make fun of how small Spencer's baby feet and shoes were. Poor Spence was so sad. The reality is that Spencer is on the small end and he is going to have to get used to it. I told Spencer that if he sticks out his tongue or cries than that boy will think he is acting like a baby and that he can show that fifth grader what a big boy his is by talking to him about how old he is and that he is not a baby. Ugh, it totally broke my heart and I hope I have him the right advise because this could be something he deals with for awhile.
Although he had that one rough experiences everything else about it is great. He loves school and his teacher tells me that he is a great student. He goes in the afternoon and there are only 10 kids in his class so I love knowing that his isn't getting the attention he loves. He comes home so excited to tell me about all the fun things he got to do that day.
Today he turned in his third homework assignment. He was to take a shoe box and decorate it and then put three things inside that signified things about him. I let him color a bunch of coloring pages and then we used those to wrap the shoe box. Inside we put a baseball, swimming goggles and a picture of him fishing. Well done I thought. Then I took him to school. I only saw two other kids boxes as they walked into the school but I seriously doubt the kids decorated them. There was a rocket ship and a princesses castle. Lets just say I hope Spencer isn't disappointed with the box we made and next time we might need to step it up a little. However, I vow to let him do his own projects and not take over just to have the most impressive project to show off.
And thus we enter a new phase of this thing we call parenthood...

6 comments:
wow!!! i am not ready for this and I know we are going to be dealing with being an the small size as well. Daphne has already noticed she is the smallest in her preschool class and it is hard on her too. Don't they know when they hit our age they want to be on the small side? Good luck and enjoy that fun time with Owen.
Wow I can't believe he's in kindergarten! He's so lucky to have such a small class...there is none of that here! He looks so handsome in these pics. My boys birthdays are in August so we are holding them back a year BUT if they were June birthdays I would see how they were doing and decide when the time came like you did. Good luck and I hope those older boys back off!
I totally know what you mean about the parents doing the kids' homework, and I am not going to do Malia's homework for her. She had to decorate a gingerbread man for the first day of school so I let her pick the fabric, lace, yarn, buttons, etc. for everything and she decided how she wanted it. After the first day of school she tells me that there were princesses, Utah football players, cowgirls, etc. as gingerbread people. I highly doubt this was all the kid's project. Good luck Melissa!
I cannot believe Spencer is old enough for Kindergarten! That is nuts! He is such a cute little kid!
How cool are those pictures???? :) He looks so excited Melissa! I LOVE this age. I hope he really has a great year, despite being a little small. I thought your advice was great. :)
Yeah for Spencer to start school. Man, kids are so harsh sometimes. Why do they feel like they need to be mean? Also, why do parents feel the need to do their child's assignments? It's absolutely ridiculous. I agree with you though. Let the kids do it. They will have so much more fun than if they are just watching you do it. Good luck!
Post a Comment