Thursday, April 30, 2009

Brainwashed or Potty Trained?


A couple of weeks ago Spencer got this movie from the library. He totally fell in love with it and asked to watch it about 5 times a day. Well, a couple of days later he woke up in the morning and told us that he needed to go potty...and he did. There has been no turning back. I am not going to lie to you it was a really hard week but for the most part he seems to have it. #1 no problem, #2 still scares him a little and it takes some coaching but I am thrilled to not have to buy any more diapers for him. We checked "the movie" out again this week just to make sure he doesn't lose the motivation and we have now seen it so many times that Scott and I can sing all the songs for you almost word for word.
What is potty training without a couple good accidents though right? Well, last week we had to leave story time at the library early because he totally soaked his pants. He was so uncomfortable that he looked like an ashamed drunken sailor as we walked to the bathroom. I didn't have a change of clothes do he ended up wearing Owens blanked around his waist as we walked out to the car. Another time we were at A&W when again the excitement threw him off his game. We stood outside the bathroom door waiting for our turn as a nice older guy came around the corner and noticed the problem. He was so sweet and gave Spencer a little pep talk as we waited. We have been giving Spencer one jelly bean for pee and two for poop. On Sunday when we got home from church he said, "Mom, I need a treat...wait...I mean I need to go potty." The kid has learned to work the system. Somewhere between the jelly beans and the movie we either brainwashed him or potty trained him.

6 comments:

Mandi said...

Oh potty training. It is such a happy and dreadful day. I am so glad that Austin hasn't had any accidents in public. He actually has not peed once in his undies from day one. Poop is a whole different story. Today he went poop free in his undies. I hope Owen keeps on doing well. Your family is SOOOOOO CUTE.

Nichole said...

Wow that is HUGE!! I want that movie ;) He was definitely ready to move on!! Way to go Spence!

Aubrey said...

That's awesome that you're done with diapers! I thought weaning from the m&m's would be hard (we used m&m's instead of jelly beans), but it wasn't a problem. I just told Malia she didn't need them anymore because she was such a big girl. It sounds like Spencer was definitely ready, though. Yay!

mae said...

Thats awesome, Melis! Luckeeee! Asher really hates the thought of going potty. I keep dropping hints but...sigh...he refuses, even after ice cream and cookie bribes. Maybe I need to find that video...

Amy said...

Kind of wish I could hear you and Scott sing the songs... followed by When the Saints go Marching On.

RaeLynn said...

I seriously just had this video transferred to the Riverton Library. I'm ready already. this is ridiculous.